Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Thinking...

I got to thinking the other day about us leaving.

I know in past blogs I have hit on the things I am sacrificing but very willing to leave behind in order to go to Guatemala.  But, what about the things I am going to miss? I sat down and thought about that, and this is what I came up with.

1. Talking to my Dad – I consider my Dad one of my best friends. It will be hard to not be able to pick up the phone and call whenever I want.
2. Chinese buffets – I am guessing that there are no Chinese buffets in Guatemala. At least, not like we have here.
3. English – I think our language it is very nice, I will miss hearing it every day.
4. Seasons – I don’t think I’ll miss winter, but I will miss the rest that comes when we switch from summer to fall. I think I will miss that.
5. Changing hours – In Guatemala there is pretty much a 12 hour day every day of the year. The long summers days turning to short fall days, and then getting longer again - I will miss that.
6. My house – I love our current house. It is big enough. It is laid out almost perfectly. The neighbors are nice. The yard is wonderful, and I will miss our house.
7. My job – I really like my job. And, though I will have a job down there, it will not have the same feel or regularity of my job here. It also won't be the same thing I have been doing for the last eleven years.
8. Tap water – Everywhere in the United States you can turn on the tap, take a big drink, and trust you will not get sick. You can’t even trust the water in the international airport in Guatemala.
9. Snow – Fine I admit it, there is nothing more beautiful than newly fallen snow. Let’s never talk about it again.
10. Church – I have been completely blessed to have been in awesome churches my entire life.  From what I saw, the churches there are not as dynamic as the ones here. I suppose that is part of why we are going, to share what we know about church.
11. Baseball – I love going to night games, I have found almost every one of them to be a magical experience the last 10 years.
12. NASCAR – This is new - going to races is something I just started doing five years ago, and I will miss the sound of NASCAR.
13. Iowa farm fields – This shows my Iowa roots. I love driving by endless miles of corn fields, especially when they are still green.
14. Debit Cards Use – I know there are credit cards down there, but much of the business is cash, and I don’t normally carry cash on me. That will be a change.
15. Ease – Everything is easy in the United States. I believe life will be much more difficult down there.

It will be interesting in two years to see if these are the things I missed the most. Maybe I won't miss any of these, and I will miss other things even more.  I can’t even imagine the changes that will happen in the next season, but I am excited to find out.

(Like what you've read? Want to learn more? Check out our website, or go here to make a tax-deductible contribution to our ministry. (Select 'Farrier' from the pulldown menu.)




No comments:

Post a Comment