Tuesday, April 15, 2014

What I Am Looking Forward To...


A little bit ago I wrote a blog talking about what I think I will miss about here when we move to Guatemala.  I plan on not looking at that post for another 2 years to see if those are really the things I missed or not.  Andrea wrote the same kind of blog.  A friend commented on heres that, when we get down there, we should do the same thing for things we really love about living down there.

So, I thought I'd start early, and try to write a blog about the things I am most looking forward to.

 I have a feeling some of the things may be pure ignorance or innocence. Forgive me if I sound silly.

1. Not having an 8 to 5 - Though I really like my job and the schedule, soon I will not have one and I think it will be very fun.
2. Speaking Spanish - I think it will be fun to be bilingual.
3. The market - Markets in Guatemala are amazing, I am looking forward to exploring them.
4. Travel to other countries – One nice thing about living somewhere that is close to other country's borders, is visiting them.
5. Learning a new culture – We are going to get to immerse ourselves in a brand new culture, get out of our bubble, and see how other people live.
6. The weather – Quetzaltenango is known as the land of eternal spring. That will be nice.
7. 365 growing season – I like green. One of the hardest parts of winter is when everything turns brown.  It is always green down there.
8. Family focus – We are going as a family - as a little unit - and we will become even more committed to each other.
9. The mountains – Having grown up in Iowa, mountains still seem foreign to me, but I think I will like them.
10. Helping – Getting to help established missionaries that have given their lives to serving Christ will be awesome.
11. Hot Springs – I liked the hot springs a lot. Somehow I don’t think that will change.
12. Food vendors everywhere – Though there is so much poverty, there are food vendors everywhere. I am excited to try the different food, though I may not like the feeling after.
13. Making a difference – I believe my job is important.  But what I will be doing down there will change people’s lies forever.
14. Hospitality – Welcoming others is something I think Guatemalans do better than Americans.
15. Slower way of life – America is a high speed sort of life, and though I enjoy it, I am looking forward to the slower culture.

As with the last list, I will look at this in 2 years.  I bet I don’t now even know what I will enjoy, but it is worth a shot, and fun to think about!

1 comment:

  1. I will be envious of your experience and great Spanish skills! But happy that you have them!

    ReplyDelete