Saturday, June 27, 2015

Happy


These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. 
 - John 15:11 NKJV

Joy:
1a :  the emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune or by the prospect of possessing what one desires :  delight
  b :  the expression or exhibition of such emotion :  gaiety
2:  a state of happiness or felicity :  bliss
3:  a source or cause of delight

I have been reading a lot of articles on Facebook and the news lately about "happy Christians." The persecutions in the Middle East, which have been going on for more then five years but were not filmed until now, are being talked about too.  In light of them, some very good men and women of God have decided to let us know why God does not care about your happiness or have a great plan for your life.  They seem to have a focus of telling people that being a Christian is to slog your way through your life.  To not have joy or a destiny in this world.  To just get through until you die - don't worry, it is only eighty years away.

I believe Jesus has a very different view. Jesus has great plans for your life and he cares about your happiness.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.  - Romans 15:13 NKJV

Did you know that happiness does not look the same everywhere?  In all countries people find happiness.  It may be harder, but they do find happiness.  So, saying that a Christian in another country who does not own a car or other western comforts is unhappy and suffering for Jesus is untrue.  They are happy in their own way, because they have Jesus.

Joy is a state of happiness and felicity.  Many people do not see the word happy in the New Testament so they say that God does not care about happiness (yes, this is an argument I have actually heard).  My New King James only has the word happy twice in the New Testament, but it has joy 62 times. This does not include other offshoots of the word, such as joyous.

When I rededicated my life to the Lord five years ago, I was a little nervous about what he had in store for me.  Then, we felt called to move to Guatemala.  A lot of people would think that this could make someone miserable.  We are constantly uncomfortable (mostly because of language) and in danger (the crime rate is very high here).  We are not living as good of lives as we were in America, at least by material and luxury standards.  Any plans of retirement or career advancement are put on hold.  But, I have never been more joyous or in a state of more happiness, because God has a plan for my life and He is with me and my family.

Then God remembered Rachel, and God listened to her and opened her womb. And she conceived and bore a son, and said, "God has taken away my reproach."  So she called his name Joseph, and said, "The LORD shall add to me another son." - Genesis 30:22-24 NKJV

If the Lord did not care about Rachel's happiness, why did He open her womb?  I believe the Lord cared about her and her happiness, and happiness for her was the birth of a child.  There was no other reason to do this except it was the desire of Rachel and would bring her happiness, and he is a good God.  Rachel is not the only one God heard crying out for something and blessed them. Some other examples to look up:  Ishmael, Hannah, the woman with the issue of blood (she may not have cried out verbally, but she was specific about her healing).

Delight yourself also in the LORD, And He shall give you the desires of your heart. - Psalm 37:4 NKJV

Did you know that God wants a relationship more than anything else?  If He wanted robots, He would have made robots.  If He wanted to limit our choices He would not have put the tree in the garden.

We were looking a few years ago at moving to the Raleigh, North Carolina.  This had been quite a process with many ups and downs.  One day during this time, I felt one the strongest feelings in the spirit I had ever felt.  It was "move" - no job, no plan, just "move".  I tried to shake off this feeling for a week, but it would not go away.  When I prayed over it, I felt very deeply at the same time "I will take care of your needs."

Finally, after a week, I stopped ignoring the Lord and talked with Him.  I spoke respectfully, and said I couldn't do it.  The main reasons were my children. I spoke to my Heavenly Father about being a father, and how my kids were the most important thing to me.  After discussing why I couldn't just move, the feeling went away.

One year later, almost to the day, we moved to Atlantic, Iowa, which set us on our current course.  I believe this is plan B.  But, I believe plan B is just as good as plan A would have been.  I was not punished for disagreeing. I was not left out.  Instead, the Lord saw my concerns and set my life on a path that worked for both of us. Why?

Because He cares for me.  He is not a bully, and when we are honest with Him, our plans and His Plan mix to make an awesome plan for all of us, as long as our plan is pure in desire.

Therefore we wanted to come to you-even I, Paul, time and again-but Satan hindered us. - 1 Thessalonians 2:18 NKJV

One final note: The persecution in the Middle East is not of God.  Jesus foretold persecution but he does not bring it.  All of these works come from satan.  If he could hinder Paul, he can do much.  It makes me sad to think that people believe God is using these deaths to glorify himself.  Only one glorifies himself in death, and that is Satan.  Many of those who have been killed have died singing because of the joy and glory they felt in Jesus. This was not God's plan for their lives, but He brought them joy even in suffering because they followed the One who brings joy and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment