Wednesday, June 3, 2015

The Good Ol' U.S. of A.

Well, we're headed home! That is to say, um, back, anyway. <sigh> It all gets so confusing when you live out of the country. I mean, really, here IS home now, but not in the roots-planted-deep, shared-memories, this-is-where-my-people-are-from sort of sense. So, I guess it's fair to say that we're leaving home to head home, and then we'll come back home again.

Think that's complicated? You should check out our itinerary! I will spare you the details, but it's going to be a 7,000 mile six weeks. I know that would strike terror into the hearts of most people, but we are super excited about every mile and moment of the five of us being crammed into our faithful Jeep Liberty. We like being together.

I must admit - I've got mixed feelings about the trip. I've talked to many missionaries who say that it's hard to be back. Most people assume furloughs or returns to your home country are some grand vacation. And, in a way, they are. I mean, we're going to be visiting friends and family, taking in the sights, eating at restaurants, staying in hotels - your average vacation activities. But, it's also kind of not a vacation. We have a lot of official business we've really got to get done in the few short weeks we'll be in the U.S.A. (where things like telephones, internet, and the postal service work reliably), not to mention a year's worth of birthday parties, small talk, card games, meals, get-togethers, hugs, etc. with our loved ones, who we probably won't see for at least another year once we drive off into the sunset.

So, um, vacation? Required business trip? Special brand of torture? I guess it's all in how you look at it. Not many people would sign up for the type of trip that we're planning on having. Then again, not many people would sign up to live in Guatemala, either, so I guess that makes us double strange. Yes, it will be hard. And will use up a lot of our resources. And will try our patience. And will have a lot of challenges. And will probably make our friends and families happy, but also sad all over again. But, despite all that, I'm going to have a great time this summer.

I'm planning on eating like a pig, staying up late most nights, sleeping in as often as I can, watching fireworks to celebrate America's birthday, catching fireflies, sitting on a porch swing, eating potato salad, laughing until fluids come out (I'm not saying where), and hugging everyone I can for as long as I can while we're home. And then, I'm going to get back in the Jeep and come home again. Because, let's face it - any place we call home this side of Heaven is going to have its blessings and its downfalls, so I guess we're doing just fine.

*********************************************

Just to keep it real, I thought I'd include a list of what foods everyone in our family is most looking forward to this summer. I hate to say it, but aside from friends and family, familiar food is probably what we miss most. Here is our top 15. 

1.) Chinese Buffets (especially with sushi)
2.) Softshell Crabs in Alabama
3.) Digiorno Chicken and Spinich Frozen Pizza (there aren't frozen pizzas here)
4.) Sour Cream
5.) Casey's Takeout Pizza (an Iowa favorite)
6.) Tex Mex Food
7.) Crab Legs
8.) Subway Sandwiches With Generous Toppings (they skimp on the veggies here)
9.) Meatloaf
10.) Cream Cheese and Bagels
11.) Dollar Menu Sandwiches at McDonalds
12.) Sterzing's Potato Chips (another Iowa favorite)
13.) Really Good barbecue (good quality meat in general, for that matter)
14.) Good Quality Chocolate
15.) Bacon - Lots and Lots of Bacon



No comments:

Post a Comment