Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Enough!

My handsome hubby (left) with his cohorts in Nepal!
Mark's been gone for over a week. I've only been able to Skype with him once and message him a handful of very brief times. The last one was at 2:00 in the morning days ago, during which he warned me that he would have even less access to internet over the next several days than he has already. I've had enough already!!! <sniff sniff>

Mah hubby's gawn, an' I got de blues.
<insert sad harmonica music here>
Oh, yeah, I sed my hubby's gaaaaaaaaawn, an' I got de bluuuuuuuuues.
<more harmonica, and maybe a bit of twanging string bass>
I got dem blu-u-u-ues, I got de missionary wife blues.
<snazzy sort of 'mwah mwaaaaaah' musical ending>

Only, not really.

Yes, I miss my husband. Yes, I wish he was here. Yes, life is easier when he's around in oh so many ways. And, yes, we're super excited to see him on Sunday. But, we're also fine. He's doing exactly what God has asked him to do. He's telling people about Jesus, loving orphans, encouraging and strengthening those who are doing the Lord's work in Nepal. I'm doing exactly what God has asked me to do. I'm teaching and equipping Guatemala's future leaders, praying with and for those in need, supporting and loving my colleagues. What's not to love? Honestly, I can't imagine a better life. It's like God showed us the sweet spot and then allowed us the blessing of living there every day.

He's so good.

That doesn't mean things are easy, but they are good. Some of my students have recently shared deep hardships and challenges with me. But, they've shared them with me. I see grinding poverty all around me, and often (as was the case yesterday) all I can do is offer some simple food, a Bible, and a few dollars. But, I can offer simple food, a Bible, and a few dollars. Perhaps hardest of all, my friends and family are struggling with profoundly difficult and painful situations, and all I can do is pray. But, I can pray.

I went into mission work with an idea that I was going to change the world for Jesus. And, I am, but it looks different than what I expected. The things I do now are the same things I've always done, but I do them more often and more willingly. Somehow I find myself less hesitant to enter in to the heartache, and the struggle, and the poverty, and the challenges, and, and, and... than I ever was before. I don't have any more answers, but I've realized that's ok. I never was the answer to begin with, but He always was, is, and always will be.

 That's enough for me. It's enough motivation to jump into the thick of things. It's enough equipping to enter in where I don't feel equipped to enter in. It's enough comfort for when things get hard. It's enough peace for when I can't find peace any other place. It's enough, because He's enough.




1 comment:

  1. Basta porque es bastaste. O suficiente. Bien dicho chica. :)

    ReplyDelete