Friday, September 30, 2016

Be Who You Are

And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues.                        - 1 Corinthians 12:28 NASB

This is a blog I have been wanting to write for a while - one that I think is very true, but may bother some people.

I have now been in ministry as a missionary for two years.  While I am just beginning, there are some things I feel I can speak on with some authority.

I ran into many people this summer when we were back who basically feel that ministry is only preaching and teaching.  If you are not preaching and teaching, you are not in ministry or not a "real missionary."  This was actually said to me by someone who was attending a Bible college. While talking to this person about visiting us in Guatemala, we discussed the things that could be done at our Bible school, and the final option was teaching. To this the person said, "...like a real missionary."

Under this limited definition of a missionary, I am not a missionary.

I am horrible at street evangelism.  I don't preach, and have no plans of starting a church.

I have taught a couple of times at the Bible Institute, and even though I enjoyed it, I would not say I am the best teacher there.

So, what do I do?  I am a minister of helps. I do whatever needs to be done.  I make up outlines to give out in classes. I do the recordings and make CDs of teachings for the students. I work with students when they are paying their tuition and with other needs.  I also do manual labor - mowing grass, doing security, painting, cleaning, helping with electrical work, gardening.  There are a lot of other things I do, but this is a small list.

My talents do not work toward teaching and preaching.  Does this make me less of a missionary? No. If I did not contribute my gifts, then our teachers would have to pick that work up, and that would be disastrous.

So, what do we need on the mission field? We need secretaries, accountants, lawyers, maintenance workers, day care providers, teachers, leaders, etc.

What am I trying to say is if you are feeling called to ministry, go.  Look for a place that needs your specific talents and plug in.

How many people don't come to the mission field because they see their gift as unimportant? 
How many don't use their gifts in their churches?
How many don't use their gifts at home or in their communities?

Think of a church family or ministry where every person's gifts were being used and appreciated as much as all the other gifts -  that could change the world!

1 comment:

  1. I get this a lot. Sometimes I feel more comfortable calling myself a humanitarian rather than a missionary (even though I know this is what God called me to) just because I don't do a lot of preaching and teaching. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete