Wednesday, July 17, 2013

It's All a Matter of Perspective

This is really happening. We're really going to move to Guatemala. Like, to live. Holy cats, Batman! How did this happen!?

Of course, there is a whole lot of backstory, and a whole lot of years of God wooing us and working on softening our hearts. But, the long and short of it is that He called us - quite clearly. So clearly, in fact, that we kinda had to give up arguing and do what He said. I believe it's called 2 by 4 communication. (You know - He made it as clear as a 2 by 4 upside the head.)

Anyway - despite our weeks of, "are we?"s, we knew it was really real once we told our families. Up until then, there had been very little risk. Very little challenge. Very little pain.

It was not easy to tell our parents that we were going to move to a kindasorta dangerous place. It was not easy to tell our parents that we were going to short circuit the plans and dreams they may have had for us. Most especially, it was not easy to tell our parents that we were going to take their grandchildren from them.

And, in case the subtext isn't getting through, 'not easy' doesn't even begin to cover it.

They were absolutely wonderful and supportive about it, though, which was further confirmation of:

1.) the fact that God really is calling us to do this. (For real, God? I mean, if my parents said 'no,' then we'd have to honor that and back out right now. Right? Right?!?)

2.) the fact that our parents are truly spectacular human beings, and deserve all the good things that life has to offer.

Good things, for example, like frequent visits and close geographic proximity to their grandchildren - precisely the things we are taking away. Oye.

I was praying about this a few nights after we made the announcement to our families. I was crying out (or, just crying/whining maybe) to God. Our conversation went a little something like this:

ME: But, God! How can you ask us to do this!? How can you ask us to take our children away from their grandparents? I know we're only committing to two years, but what if You call us there longer? What if it's five years? Eight? Maybe even longer? Isn't that unfair to do to them? They love us, and they love our kids. Family is an institution that YOU created. Are you sure you want us separated like this!?

GOD: Oh, Andrea. [I think He has to say this to me a lot, by the way...] I am truly sorry that your family will have to be apart for a short time. But, surely you understand that your brief separation from loved ones is for a purpose. It will help ensure that I don't have to have an eternal separation from those whom I love and am sending you to. Are you willing to spend a few of your years for their eternity? I promise - I will be with you through it all.

<sigh> You can't exactly argue with that, can ya?

I am learning - little by little - what it means to have an eternal perspective. Yes, I always rejoiced at the fact that my salvation through Christ's sacrifice granted me an eternal victory and life with Him. However, He is starting to teach me that part of that prize includes a responsibility for the eternities of others, as well.

Eternity is a long time, folks. Longer, even, than a few years of painful separation from the people I love so very much. Longer, still, for those who might spend it in agony and separated from God, if I am unwilling to go where He tells me to go, and do what He tells me to do.

Guess it really is all a matter of perspective after all, isn't it?

If anyone comes to me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters , yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.
-- Luke 14:26


No comments:

Post a Comment