Saturday, April 9, 2016

Read the Bible Straight Through

Most Christians I know want to read the Bible straight through. Most I have talked to usually only make it to Deuteronomy.  I have now read through the Bible twice, so I believe I can give a little advice.

Now there are many apps, websites, and even Bibles that you can buy that will give you a disciplined way to read through the Bible.  If you are one of those people that can do this, like my wife, this blog is not for you.  This blog is for people like me - people who love the Bible, want to read the whole thing, but are not disciplined enough to do reading programs.

So, here is my list of reading tips:

Pick out a reader's Bible. For most of us we have a favorite Bible. Mine is a Zondervan study bible.  It is bulky, hard to carry around, and the notes get me off topic quite often. So, I bought a small reader's Bible and used only that one for reading.  It fits in my pocket and I don't have to worry about losing my place.

Read a translation you want to read. My favorite translation is the New American Standard, so the first time I read through I used that one.  The next time I did the New Living Translation. This time I am reading the New King James.  I trust the NAS the most, but reading other translations is fun and will let you see the scriptures differently.
 

Recognize that reading straight through is hard. The first time I read the bible straight through I did it the classic way - start in Genesis and end in Revelation.  This is very hard, as the Old Testament can weigh you down. Also, for me, Psalms seemed to last forever when I read the Bible straight through.  This last time was much better.  I started in Genesis, then read four Psalms, then Matthew, and back to the Old Testament.  I found this way didn't keep me mired down in the Old Testament, and I had the hope of Jesus to keep me going.

Don't get condemned and don't stop reading. The first time reading the Bible straight through took me seven years.  If you get stopped for a while, don't get condemned, just pick up where you left off.  This is where having a separate bible is nice because if you lay it down and don't use it, the marker will be in the same place as you left off.

Enjoy. This is not the last time you will read the Bible. It is complex and beautiful, but this isn't the only time you will read it.  Most people take reading the Bible straight through as a very serious thing.  If you were reading a normal book, you would not worry if you missed a small part.  I have read certain sections of the Bible a hundred times or more and I still find new things in those passages.  Plus, the next time you  read it straight through you'll catch whatever you might have missed then.

Hopefully these hints will help.  Remember, it doesn't matter what other people think - it is your relationship with Christ, not theirs, so happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment