Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Children's Day

Happy October, everyone! How is it possible that time has flown by so quickly!? Yesterday it was exactly 2 months ago that we pulled into Xela. (And 19 years ago to the day that Mark and I first met, incidentally.) 

Today is a national holiday of sorts in Guatemala (though we still had school) - Children's Day. It was interesting to hear my students bring it up as a prayer request - at first just thanking God for the many little presents they received from their parents, and the fact that our school's PTA brought pizza and cupcakes for lunch. But, gradually, they also started being more reflective and thoughtful - mentioning that we needed to pray for those children who don't have the privileges they do. Who don't have enough food. Who don't have parents. Who don't have a home. Who don't have safety. To be honest, the children they initially mentioned in these types of situations were the ones across the globe - in Asia, or Africa, for example. It is hard for them to realize and remember that these types of kids are present in their own nation. In their own region. In their own city...

On Children's Day I found myself reflecting on these types of children - the broken, needy, desperate ones - who I know are in Xela, but I don't yet know how to connect with them or make a difference in their lives. I also found myself reflecting on my own children, who have been blessed with so much, but who also have chosen to give so much to come with us to Guatemala. When Mark and I have found ourselves struggling with culture shock, exhaustion, sickness - our children have been the ones who have prayed for us most readily and most often. They are the ones who face even the hardest days with a smile and a sense of humor. They encourage us, and one another. And, they speak profound truths when we most need to hear them. 

One of our biggest challenges is feeling like we're not doing enough. We so desperately desire to honor and represent our donors and supporters well. Our church well. Our ministry well. And, most importantly, our God and savior well. One day Rachel brought this up (like I said... it is something that we all feel) on our drive to school. She said that she didn't "feel" like she thought a missionary should feel. She was frustrated that she hadn't had the chance to share the gospel with dozens of people, see miraculous healings each week, and more "amazing" things like that.

After a long pause and a moment of thought, she continued by saying, "But, I've prayed about it, and I really feel like what God wants me to do is just be sure to show His love to at least one person at school, each and every day." 

Once again, I found myself learning so much from the simple, honest faith of children - MY children.  I don't have any doubt that there will be more opportunities for us to participate in salvation, healing, and all the rest of the things we were sent here to do (see Mt. 10:8). BUT, I'm grateful that Rachel helped me keep sight of the fact that sharing the love of Christ is my primary purpose, and the gateway to all the rest. And, it is enough.

Anyway - that's we've been up to lately - sharing the love of Christ. Oh, and moving to our new house, which includes a whole lot of Guatemalan challenges. (We're still waiting on our livingroom furniture to get delivered...) We're also continuing to plug away at Spanish lessons, work hard at school and the Bible college, make new relationships, and look for ways to connect with this community that we've come to love so much. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you beyond words for your support and faith. We honestly, truly, and literally couldn't do it without you, and are grateful to you each and every day! (And hope you'll consider coming for a visit!!) 


No comments:

Post a Comment