Monday, March 3, 2014

What's in a Name?

When we first started our ministry (we giggle everytime we say that, because we can’t believe God would call us to ministry) we were just Mark and Andrea.  It was actually difficult to pick a name.  You have to have a good name - something that is steady. Not cheesy, but also not too serious.  We wanted it personal, and not vague.  We also wanted to have something we could grow in. Some ministry names seem outdated after a while, especially if it was part of a specific revival movement.  We wanted something that inspired even us.

What we came up with was ‘Farriers of Faith’.

We go to Fellowship of Faith Christian Center, but I had not realized how close our name sounded to theirs until after we had actually agreed on it.  There was some debate on this matter.  Many weeks of debate, actually.  Andrea wanted something with ‘world’ in it.  She loves the scripture ‘…go into all the world…’  I felt it was vague, and for now we are going to just Guatemala. I mean, let’s not get ahead of ourselves!

I felt Farriers of Faith was the best, because it was the only name we came up with that spoke to me.  After a while Andrea agreed that it was a good fit, and that was how we got our name.

The thing I want to focus on in describing how we feel about it is the faith part.  Faith, to me, was a really important part that I wanted in the name.  Webster defines faith as, "something that is believed, especially with strong conviction."

Andrea and I believe we are called to go to Guatemala, to help people, and to give them the gospel.  We believe this, and are strongly convicted.  We believe it to the point that when people say, "I don’t understand..." we often find ourselves saying, "Wee don’t either, but we have to go."

We have faith that we are called.  We have faith that since we are called, God will take care of all of our needs.  We have faith that since we are following the call, God will not waste a minute of our lives.

Faith has changed for Andrea and me in the last few months.  Faith feels so different when I have a good job, a full stomach, a great family and friends.  As we are giving some of these things up, faith is changing in my life.  Relying on others to see our vision and that the Lord will lead them to support us in our calling - that is a different kind of Faith.

The enormity of what we are about to do is settling in.  Faith is changing because I have heard the calling. I know that He is enough.  Sometimes fear tries to come in, but I hold on to God's promises, and choose to have faith. He has led me this far, and I know He won’t let me down.

(Like what you've read? Want to learn more? Check out our website, or go here to make a tax-deductible contribution to our ministry. (Select 'Farrier' from the pulldown menu.)


No comments:

Post a Comment