Saturday, February 8, 2014

Guatemala - Early Saturday Morning

Sorry I didn't write sooner. It was a long but fun (mostly) day yesterday.

We got up and left at our usual 6:50, and had breakfast at Daid and Mirza's. Then it was back in the van to head to the school. We knew we were in the home stretch, and were eager to get started.

We hauled buckets of sand and rock up the hill, and then the guys and the local contractors moved the precise amounts of each over to a pile on the sidewalk. It was quite interesting to see the contractors mixing up the concrete - a mix between cooking and alchemy, really. After it was mixed to the perfect consistency, we hauled it in buckets to the work site, and dumped it into the center holes of the concrete blocks our guys had laid 2 days before. It really didn't take too long. In fact, we were all done by 10:00.

I snuck away a little bit early and Lessly and her husband Mike to look at her 150 year old Colonial house in downtown Xela. Everything is in a sad, sad state of disrepair right now, but they're beginning a remodel project next week, and will be copletely re-doing the whole structure. Though not so lovely right now, I can see how will end up being absolutely beautiful, with its stone floors, open patio, high ceilings, and windows with decorative rodiron work. Definitely a place we will have to consider when looking for a home. I can't wait to see it all finished.

Around 12:15 we set off for the hot springs, thoroughly enjoying the lovely views on the way. I will say, though, yesterday's views weren't quite so sweeping because the clouds had rolled in. At that elevation, when there are clouds, you're in them! Don't know whether to say that it was a foggy day, or a cloudy day. :)

We enjoyed the hot springs very much. McKenzie and I took a bit of a hike up the steep and winding steps in the park area before we got in for a soak in the hot water. It's hard to describe just how good it feels to be in that hot, hot water - especially after having worked hard all week.

When we finished at the hot springs, we stopped off for an hour's shopping at one of the markets. They are always so colorful and interesting! I think most of us ended up getting something to take back home - mostly souveneirs, but some of the guys bought hand tools for gardening and farming. They had quite an adventure bargaining for their treasures since they didn't speak the language. Guess it just shows how very brave and inventive they are!

On the way out of the market, I stopped for an ice cream. David warned me that it might not be a great idea, but I did it anyway, and paid for it. (Though, I was already feeling unwell before then, so the cone might not have been the offending party after all.) Everyone else left to go have a traditional El Salvadorian dinner at a local restaurant. I stayed at the hotel. Anyway - from 5:30 p.m. until about 10:30 p.m. I was very, very sick. I had a fever and chills, and my body was trying to eliminate whatever it was that it didn't like from every evaucation route possible.

I haven't felt that bad for a long time. But, I kept praying, and had Mark and some folks back home pray for me as well. Around 10:30 my fever broke, and I immediately felt a lot better. This morning I feel a little wrung out, but otherwise ok. Praise God for that!!!

We are leaving at 8:00 to head back to Guatemalal City and catch our plane. I will be back on good, solid, (cold), Iowa soil (and snow) by 9:30 or so tonight. I am VERY excited to see my family again!!!! I know I will miss this place terribly, but it helps so much knowing that we'll be back in 5 months, and I'll be able to share this adventure anew with Mark, the girls, and allllllllll the people who come to visit us.

(You ARE coming to visit us....right!!??) :)

Praying for safe travels, no delays, no missed connections, and continued health.

Thanks for joining me on this journey, all!
-akf














No comments:

Post a Comment