Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Guatemala - Late Wednesday Night

Oye... I can tell this is going to be a long one! Hope you'll bear with me. :)

Today was a long and wonderful day! We started out with the van arriving at its usual 6:50 a.m. (I'm sure people who know me well can hardly believe that I managed to get up at that hour one day, let alone three days straight, with no end in sight soon!) Breakfast this morning at David and Mirza's was pancakes and sausages with fresh watermelon.

When we arrived at the school (around 7:45) everyone else headed to the work site, but I got to be the substitute Bible teacher in the very same classroom that I helped lay the foundation for last year. (That's right - our God is VERY big!)

I really didn't teach, as much as just shared my testimony, but it was very fun. The four classes I talked to (one each of 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th) were very different. Some were much more reserved, and others more outgoing. I was blessed to have been so well received by them - especially when they found out we are planning on moving here next year. They had a lot of questions - especially about our girls. The 9th graders were especially excited that they'd be only 1 year older than Rachel, and promised to be nice to her. One of them has a younger sibling who will be in Rebecca's class, too.

After I was done teaching, I joined the group (who had been slogging away all morning moving sand in 5 gallon buckets, laying cement block with mortar, and filling holes with dirt) for a lunch of sandwiches, chips, fruit cups, and cake - provided by the moms of the PreK class.

When we were done with lunch, it was back to work. I got to help for an hour and a half or so (filling in holes) before Dick came to pick me up. He took me all over Xela to get a better idea of the cost and availability of common items. Boy, was it an eye-opening experience!!! I guess I hadn't been on that side of town before, but it was a little strange to be seeing electronics stores, a mall, and an honest-to-goodness Walmart. Wow!! Looks like we'll be able to buy everything we could possibly need and more down here, though the cost averages about 40% higher here than in the states. (I'll try to do a list of prices tomorrow, for anyone who's interested.)

We finished our tour by getting a milkshake at a corner shop in the mall, and then heading to the Bible College to pick Sharon (his wife) up. He dropped me off at our hotel just in time for me to get back in the van and head to David and Mirza's again. This time we got deep-fried, stuffed peppers and salad for supper. They were sooooo good! We keep debating about whether our arms are going to end up longer (from carrying heavy buckets), or bigger around (from building so much muscle). I'm afraid that, since we're eating so well, it's my waistline that might be changing! :)

After supper, we hopped back in the van for a 20 min drive to a local town where we saw the oldest, continuously-used Catholic church in the Americas. It as built in 1524, and has had a mass in it at least once a week ever since. The daughter of the conquistador who conquered Guatemala was even married there! It was beautiful, and the guide (whose wife couldn't get over how amazingly beautiful McKensie was!) told us that much of the interior, including the wooden beams, are original. Can't say I've ever gotten to touch wood that's almost 500 years old before!

When we had finished there, we went up the road a mile or so to a lovely church. The worship was awesome. I was pleasantly surprised at how much of the singing and service I understood! They had 3 baby dedications, and asked Pastor Paul to do the honors! (With David translating, of course.) After that, Chris brought a message about preapring the soil of our lives for the seed of God's word, so that we can yield a great harvest for Him. When church was over, everyone was served DELICIOUS tamales, bread, and a fruity/spicy tea. I'm not sure why, but I think it was in honor of the baby dedications. (I could understand a lot, but not all of what was said!) :)

I'm back at the hotel now. I've had a lovely, hot shower, and have just a few more things to do in order to be ready to do chapel for the elementary kids tomorrow. Then it's off to sleep - and none too soon, since we'll be back in the van again in just 6 short hours!








1 comment:

  1. Beautiful church! It is amazing to touch history like that. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete