Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Guatemala - Early Tuesday Morning

It's 4:55 a.m. on Tuesday morning here. I wanted to write last night when we got in, but we couldn't get connected to the internet. I suspect it had a lot to do with all of us trying at the same time. It was an interesting comedy to watch us (me) trying to get help from the tiny, ancient man at the front desk and the armed guard (carrying a big shotgun). Needless to say, the broken Spanish that I learned in high school didn't include technology words! :)

I would like to say it's quiet here, but that's not necesarily the case. A big diesel truck just took off from the parking lot of the hotel. It sat, idling, outside my window for about 10 minutes before lumbering off. Part of me wants to be grumpy, since I'm very tired and want to get rested up for our big work day ahead. However, I realize that the folks on that truck probably have a four-hour drive ahead of them, so they can make it ot Guatemala City by 9:00 to start their full day of work. Kind of puts things into perspective.

I'm hoping I will be able to get a bit more shut-eye, but am glad for the chance to enjoy some quiet moments to reflect, and wi-fi access.

It is hard for me to be gone from my husband and my children. I miss them. While we were taking off from Houston, I was feeling a bit homesick. Our trip had a rocky start anyway, since one of our group (the only one who spoke Spanish) was called away by a family emergency, and our fearless leader (Pastor Paul) ended up getting bumped from our flight out of Omaha since the plane was overweight. Thankfully, they arrived at Guatemalal City last night, and will join us here in Xela tomorrow afternoon.

Because of all the changes to our plans, I was worried that somehow the magic of Guatemala and the trip would be gone for me. It's hard to describe how I felt as we banked around over the mountains surrounding Guatemala City, though. I don't any other way to say it except that it felt like I was home. Somehow God has made a way so that these are my people and this is my country. Even as I type that, it sounds absurd to me, but it's strue.

The smog is atrocious - especially behind the ever-present Chicken Buses and motorcycles. The streets are dirty. Poverty is rampant. (Within just a few moments of leaving the airport we saw 2 different handicapped beggars on the side of the road.) Traffic is insane (though David, our guide, somehow seems to make sense of it.) The infrastructure is broken, and you can't even drink the water from the tap. Still, I can't help but love it all.

After leaving the airport we stopped and ate at the Guatemala-equivelant of the KFC, then settled in for the long drive to Xela. One the way, we encountered 2 bad accidents on the side of the road. One was a chicken bus (inevitably filled with people) that jumped the media, crunched a little truck, and knocked down 2 light poles in the ditch on the other side of the road. We speculated that most of the people were probably alright, but couldn't see anything through the gawking crowd of dozens that had gathered.

We finally arrived in Xela after dark into the welcoming embrace of David and Mirza's home, and a fabulous lasagna dinner cooked by Mirza. Dick and Sharon (from the Bible college) were there as well, and it was like a whole other home coming. I don't know why I love this place so much. It has to be from God.

It's now 5:16, and another diesel truck has started and is warming up outside. I can smell the fumes coming in the window, and clearly hear the people talking outside. (Hear, I said. Not understand...) :)

We will be doing cement work today. I anticipate that I'll probably end up on the business end of a shovel at the sand and gravel piles, like I did last year. It is very hard work, but goes quickly.  Thankfully, the weather and views will be fabulous, which somehow help make the work less taxing.

I hope to be able to update again this evening. Thanks to all of you who are so faithfull praying for us on this trip, and for 'joining' us by following the blog. I really do wish you could be here in person and enjoy Xela right along with me.

Until later -
akf









2 comments:

  1. Miss u even if Icouldn't see u here. Stay safe&strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you guys!! Missing you, too. Hope you're having half as much fun on your trip as I am on mind. :)

    ReplyDelete