Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Did We Remember The Hammer?

You know how sometimes you think you've got something figured out, only to find out later what it *really* means?

Feels like that's what we're doing right now.

We're getting close. Like, really, really close. One week from today we'll be arriving in Xela and starting our new lives, which is awesome. And exciting. And very fun. But, that also means that we're getting farther and farther from our old lives. (Which is kinda scary.)

It's been hitting us in waves the last few days - how much we're leaving behind. Galatians 5:24 tells us to crucify the desires and passions of the flesh. I used to think that only meant things like debauchery, drunkenness, gluttony, etc... (You know - the obviously fleshly stuff.) I don't really have a problem with those things. But, I'm coming to find out, more and more, that our flesh also desires stuff that looks pretty non-fleshly, and Jesus meant we're supposed to crucify those things as well.

Like, say, Mark's noble and worthwhile desire to continue advancing in his profession...
...someone hand him a nail.

Or, Rachel's desire to get a job, learn to drive, and do all the other long-dreamed-of things 14 year olds do...
...someone hand her a nail.

And let's not forget my deep, abiding passion for sleeping late in my dearly-beloved bed <sigh>...
...someone hand me a nail.

(Alright, I admit it - some of these desires may seem a bit more selfish and petty than others. 
But, they are in need of being nailed to the cross just as much as the rest.)

Something tells me that, as the days, weeks, and months pass by, I will be struck by three deep and important truths:

1.) Crucifying our desires and passions of the flesh isn't nearly as difficult in hindsight as it is in progress. 
2.) I only thought I had this process all figured out. I bet I'll continue to discover what it *really*, *really* means. 
3.) Jesus is much bigger than anything I will face, and He'll be with me through it all.

Amen.
...so someone hand me a nail.





No comments:

Post a Comment